Monday, July 9, 2012

My Country, 'Tis of Thee...


It's weird being in a place where they don't celebrate the holidays you know so well, but thanks to some chocolate cake and the sisters being amazing, my Independence Day away from home was pretty sweet.  Plus, we had a nice day in the midst of our cold spree.

I decided that to celebrate the Fourth of July I was going to make an American dessert. Obviously apple pie came to mind, but since Caitlin and I made one before and we're still not really sure how the sisters felt about it, I decided on Texas Sheetcake. The cake turned out great (I can't believe how much I missed American style frosting) especially with my handmade American flag. The sisters made little pizzas and got me Coke, Doritos and Lay's potato chips to celebrate, and I downloaded the Star Spangled Banner, America the Beautiful, God Bless the USA, and Born in the USA to add a little extra Americanness to the party. Playing the music also got me out of dancing for the sisters (which they insisted that I do), and the conversation was just too funny not to share.

Sisters: Hiliary you have to show us an American dance on your independence day.
Me: I don't really know any American dances.
Sisters: It doesn't have to be a traditional dance. It could be modern, like how you dance now.
Me: (Pause) Well....I don't really dance unless I've been drinking with my friends.
Sisters: (hysterical laughter)...."And what do you drink with your friends?"
Me: It depends, but beer or drinks with vodka.
Sisters: Vodka? That's becoming really popular here with the young people. They make drinks with vodka, and they're really strong.
Me: Hmmm that's interesting. 

Since it's winter, now the current running joke is "maybe we should go drink some vodka with Hiliary to warm ourselves up!" Whoever thought nuns don't have a since of humor were definitely wrong. It's the little things like helping me celebrate (and yes, even joking with me about drinking vodka) that I greatly appreciate the sisters for. They are seriously an amazing group of ladies.







No comments:

Post a Comment