Thursday, July 5, 2012

Bautismo de las Criaturas


First off, I just have to talk about the use of the word "criaturas". Here, when referring to little kids, people say criaturas, which literally translates to creatures. When I think of creatures I think of things like Gollum from The Lord of the Rings, so every time I hear criaturas I just can’t help but smile and laugh.

Part of Hermana Magdalena’s and my work over the past month (since we had the Mass in the barrio under the bridge) has been to take a census of all the kids/adults that need to complete the sacraments, focusing mainly on baptism, since it’s the first one. For a country that is statistically 80 something percent Catholic it’s interesting how many people haven’t celebrated the sacraments. I guess I’ve figured out my response to the German Jehovah’s Witnesses Caitlin and I met in Asuncion who said, “Catholic missionaries in a Catholic country? That’s weird.”

We celebrated our first baptism (of kids 8 years and under) this past Saturday with 21 kids. It was a great experience and I’m happy I got to be a part of it, especially since several of the kids are in my kindergarten class or in the clases de apoyo (tutoring classes). I was waiting for a divine transformation in their behavior after the baptism this week, but unfortunately I guess I’ll have to keep praying.


The two on the left are in my first grade tutoring clases at the health center. Don't let those smiles fool you...
One of my favorite kindergarteners, Santi, and his sister, Pomela, who's also in our tutoring classes.





Some more of our students.
 

Siblings with Padre Daniel
Primas (cousins)

No comments:

Post a Comment