Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving!

On Monday, Matt (my boyfriend) stopped to see me on his drive back to Missouri to spend Thanksgiving with his family, and part of me definitely wanted to stow away in his car. But, even though I missed my family, Thanksgiving in Albuquerque was still great! 

Because of the holiday, there weren’t any catechism classes at San Jose last week, but on Wednesday we celebrated Padre Gabriel’s (San Jose Parish’s priest) birthday. It was a great feast and wonderful live music. I tried some new foods and definitely realized my tongue is not quite up to the hotness of New Mexican food, where red or green chiles are a way of life


Father Gabriel and the cake.

Live music around the fire. It was freezing!

To kick off Thanksgiving Day, I made the first batch of fudge for the holiday season in keeping with the Smith tradition. It was a huge hit with the sisters even though they were shocked by how much sugar it contains. In the morning, we went to Thanksgiving Mass, and then Sr. Angela and I joined the sisters in the other house for a delicious breakfast. After we ate, the sisters had a special commitment/welcoming prayer for me. I made a personal commitment prayer and they all said a prayer for me for my formation and mission journey. It definitely made me feel great and thankful to have them supporting me. After a few hour break filled with Spanish vocabulary, we all went to the Provincial house for Thanksgiving dinner. The meal was delicious, but I almost had a heart attack when I didn’t see any bread or rolls. I thought it was going to be my Thanksgiving nightmare come true! Thankfully after about five minutes they brought some out.


Breakfast with the sisters.
The Chapel decorations at Cristo Rey Spirituality Center.

On Friday, we went to Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge since the sisters had the day off. It’s about an hour and a half drive from Albuquerque, but well worth it. 


The Snow Geese.
Sr. Angela & me.Yes, I look like a giant compared to her.



On Saturday and Sunday, Matt stopped in Albuquerque again. After getting to watch me sing in Spanish at afternoon Mass at San Jose, I took him to Old Town Albuquerque and suckered us into an overpriced tour that we question the accuracy of. But, since the pictures turned out great, I’m writing it off as a success!
On our tour!
In Old Town Albuquerque. I think this used to be a brothel.
Our Lady of Guadalupe Chapel in Old Town Albuquerque.
Inside the chapel.

No comments:

Post a Comment