Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Settling into Life with the Sisters

Sr. Angela doesn’t like garlic or tomatoes, which knocks out about half of the things of what I know how to cook and like. I thought she was supposed to be Italian! When we went grocery shopping, I was a little scared. We got so many types of meats and vegetables that I know I will eventually have to eat. I don’t think Sr. Angela completely understands the extent of my pickiness, but luckily she is easing me into new foods. So far I’ve tried cooked mushrooms, cooked carrots and cooked zucchini. I also had pasta with a ton of meat. Apparently the Italians aren’t too big on sauce either, but it was actually extremely delicious! Today, I tackle stew.

When I first moved in, I saw a Netflix envelope and was surprised that the sisters had an account. I’m not sure why, but I guess I had in my mind that religious people didn’t have fun or time for movies. And on the Canossians' website it talked about living simply. Last night we watched Entertaining Angels: The Dorothy Day Story. It was definitely inspiring to learn how her views and actions completely changed after finding the Church, and I couldn’t believe how much she and her family gave up to help the poor.

Living with the Sisters has been interesting. Although all of them are at least in their 60’s, they’re all very young at heart. I never feel awkward, but this lifestyle is a lot different than what I was used to. I like a lot about it, and I think that it’s helping me become a better person, but I feel like I’m maybe not letting enough of my true self be expressed yet. I feel like I have to be SO good. On the first day I came here I saw the Sisters were watching TV. It was a program on the Catholic channel of a choir in England. In my "previous life," while flipping through the channels I always wondered who actually watches things like that and enjoys them. This week, I found my answer. It’s not to say that is all they watch, because as I mentioned before, Sr. Ann said she likes Modern Family, and we’ve watched the news and Jeopardy, but it’s just a mix of two I guess. I think the longer I’m here and the more I get to know the sisters, (I need to remember that it has only been 3.5 days) the more the true Hiliary will come out.

We’ve finally got my daily schedule just about locked down. I’m going to start volunteering today at the San Jose Parish in Albuquerque with Sr. Marisa who is from Mexico. San Jose is a predominantly Hispanic parish, and Sr. Marisa has developed programs for teens and young adults and also teaches CCD classes. I can’t wait to actually do something, even though today will probably be a lot of watching. It will be great to meet some more young people and since all of them are bilingual, it will definitely help me with my Spanish!

I’m also going to try joining the choir at San Jose. Not because I’m a good singer, but a lot of the sisters think it will help me improve my Spanish. Wish me luck!

Here’s what my Monday schedule looks like. Other days of the week I volunteer more at San Jose or have teaching technique lessons or have more free time, but on the weekends I have Saturday afternoons and Sundays free.

8:30: Mass
9:30-10: Breakfast
10-10:30: Free time
10:30-11:30: Mission Meeting (learning about the history of the Canossians, St. Magdalene, St. Bakhita, VOICA, volunteering, spirituality and Paraguay.
11:30-1:30: Cooking, cleaning & lunch
1:30-3: Free time
3-4: Language lessons with Rosetta Stone
4-5:30: Free time & dinner
6-8: Volunteering at San Jose
8:30-10:30 Free time


No comments:

Post a Comment