Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Visitors!! (Parte 2: Encarnación, Posadas y Iguazú)

When we got to the house, Maria Jose told me that they had 20 girls participating in a retreat.
“20?” I asked. “I thought there were only supposed to be 8.”
“So did we.” she said.

Regardless of the commotion, it was a great welcome, and it gave Mom and Grandma some great practice with the greeting custom of Paraguay and Argentina with a kiss on both cheeks. The next day was a day of rest and laundry (Grandma and Mom got to see how I dry my clothes with the help of a space heater), but were able to zip over to Posadas to meet the sisters there and to see the Cathedral.

Tuesday we headed to Iguazú and my stomach troubles and sickness began. I’m starting to doubt the “potableness” of the “agua potable” since I felt miserable for the next 3 days and the water is the only thing we can really think of; however, I'm willing to give it another try because I hate missing out on the fresh squeezed fruit juices at lunch and dinner. 

Currently, Argentina is one hour ahead of Paraguay. Something I forgot as we tried to purchase our bus tickets at the terminal in Posadas causing me to ask not one, but two people, if we could take buses that had already left. As I looked down at my watch and saw 11:40 (12:40 Argentina time) I though great, we’ll take the 12:00 bus. When I went to the first stand and asked, the lady looked at me a little funny and just said, “No, but you can take the 1:00.” I didn’t feel like waiting an hour, so I went to another one and asked, is it too late to take the 11:45 bus (when it’s actually 12:40) not knowing if 5 minutes was too soon. The guy simply laughed and said, “Yeah, it’s too late.” So, we went back to the first one, bought tickets for 1 p.m. and sat down. Shortly after, Grandma said, “Isn’t Argentina a different time then Paraguay?” Thank God! By this time my watch said 11:55 (really 12:55) and about 5 minutes before our bus actually left. We made it in time, and Grandma saved the day!

In Iguazú, Grandma and Mom had their first hostel experience. I know they didn’t love it (and to be honest, I was doubting it as well on our first day/night when people were still playing the guitar at 2 a.m.) but it got better (especially after they fixed the hot water in our showe), and they handled it like champs.

Showing off our backpack packing skills.

Our experience at the falls was very different from mine and Caitlin’s since Argentina schools have their winter holiday for two weeks in July. The first day (and my only day due to sickness) at the falls we were only able to see La Garganta del Diablo or The Devil’s Throat—the largest and most impressive waterfalls in the park—because of the crowds. Not kidding, we waited in line for 3 and half hours. It was worth it though, and Grandma was nice enough to let me rest my head on her shoulder while standing in line.










For me, day two in Iguazú was spent in my bunk bed. Since I’ve already seen the falls we decided that it would be best for me to get some rest. Luckily, Mom and Grandma still had a great day at the park, and Mom got to practice some more of her Spanglish. The next day we headed back to Encarnación. It sure felt good to be home.




Click here or visit my Photos page to see my whole facebook album of photos from our trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment