Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I’m published…in Spanish!!


With much help from Marilú (my Spanish teacher/conversation partner), I’m now a published writer in Spanish! The sisters asked me if I could write up a short article about my experience as a volunteer in Paraguay so far for their August newsletter. Writing down my thoughts in Spanish was a fun challenge, although it was sometimes frustrating because some of the “clever” things I wanted to say didn’t quite translate and my grammar skills aren't exactly up to par. Regardless, I think I was still able to keep some of the “me-ness” and still get my point across. 

Here’s the original version and translated into English:

Testimonio de Hiliary Voluntaria en Paraguay
Con toda honestidad no sabía mucho de Paraguay cuando las Hermanas Canossianas primero me dijeron que iba a servir aquí. Solamente sabía que este país es vecino de Brasil, Argentina y Bolivia y también que yo necesitaba a aprender nuevos idiomas. Hace cinco meses que estoy aquí y estaré cinco meses más. He aprendido mucho, pero todavía tengo mucho por aprender. Estoy agradecida por todas las cosas que he experimentado hasta ahora, y estoy muy entusiasmada por lo que me queda por experimentar. A veces es una lucha para mí estar lejos de mi familia y amigos, pero me encanta la gente que he conocido y estoy disfrutando de mi tiempo mucho.

Mi ministerio favorito es mi trabajo en el jardín de infantes. Soy maestra ayudante en la Sala Roja con los niños de tres años y me encanta todo de ellos—incluso los que se portan mal. Empezamos nuestro día con canciones, primero para saludar a Jesusito, a María y a San José, después una canción para la bandera y muchas otras más canciones. Las canciones son muy divertidas y también me han ayudado a aprender castellano y un poquito de guaraní (por ahora mi vocabulario es más o menos 10 palabras). Después, tomamos la merienda y a veces estoy asombrada por la cantidad de leche que los niños pueden beber. Por último, jugamos y luego trabajamos. Estoy aprendiendo muchas cosas de los niños—como enseñar, como cuidar, y como hacer muchos animales y maquinas de plastilina. ­También, aprendí a tener más paciencia.

Algunas tardes soy maestra en las clases de apoyo con niños de segundo y primer grado. Tenía miedo primero porque no sabía cómo ensenar a niños porque no sé bien su idioma. Pero Dios sabe lo que está haciendo. Hay niños a quienes tenemos que enseñarles las letras porque no saben, y otros necesitan ayuda para la lectura en castellano—cosas muy  básico. Yo entiendo el esfuerzo de ellos porque yo también lo experimenté. A veces el trabajo es muy difícil porque los niños no quieren a aprender, pero también es un trabajo muy gratificante para educación a una vida mejor.

Cuando no trabajo como maestra, soy ayudante en el centro de salud con las hermanas. Primero fui su secretaria anotando pesos, presiones, y temperaturas. Me gustó mucho especialmente cuando no podía hablar con la gente porque no le entendía. Pero ahora, estoy aprendiendo a hacer todo—como a pesar, tomar la tempera­tura, medir la estatura y notar los datos para las doctoras y nutricionista. Tenemos que cuidar de los cuerpos que Dios nos da, y estoy feliz porque puedo ayudar. 

Otros días me voy con la Hermana Magdalena para visitar a los enfermos y dar avisos a la gente del barrio que está debajo del puente internacional. La gente vive una forma de vida muy distinta a la que yo vivo y a mí me encanta escuchar sus historias. Este barrio también está donde muchos de nuestros estudiantes de jardín y de clases de apoyo viven y es interesante ver a ellos en sus hogares. Una parte de nuestro trabajo fue anotar todos sobre los niños que necesitan ser bautizados y hay un montón. Celebramos nuestro primer bautismo este mes con 21 niños.  La experiencia fue muy hermosa y muy especial por poder participar en el sacramento de algunos de mis estudiantes.

Estando en América del Sur es una experiencia muy maravillosa para mí fe. La devoción de la gente es muy distinta, especialmente a María. Es interesante ver como personas católicas en un otro país alaban y espero que pueda llevar algunas tradiciones conmigo cuando vuelva a mi país. A veces me siento que esta experiencia es demasiado para me fe porque las hermanas (y algunas otras personas que conocí aquí) tienen un nivel de fe mucho más alto que el mío, pero yo se que ellas están aquí para ayudarme, guiarme y también a ser mis amigos. Y por eso, estoy agradecida. No sé si mi fe va a inspirar a cualquier persona, pero está bien porque la fe de otras sin duda me ha inspirado. Y posiblemente ese es el plan de Dios. Vamos a ver y voy a estar abierto a lo que Él me pide.

Testament of Hiliary, volunteer in Paraguay

In all honesty I didn’t know much about Paraguay when the Canossian sisters told me that I would be serving here. I only knew that it was next to Brazil, Argentina and Bolivia, and that I also needed to learn new languages. I’ve been here for five months (now 6), and I have five more (now less than 4) months left to serve. I have learned a lot, but I still have much more to learn. I am grateful for all of the things that I have experienced so far, and I am very excited for what I still have to experience. Sometimes it is a struggle for me to be so far away from my family and friends, but I love the people that I’ve come to know here and I’m enjoying my time here so much.

My favorite service is my work in the preschool. I’m a teacher’s assistant in the Sala Roja (Red Room) with three-year-olds, and I love all of them--even the ones that behave badly. We begin our day with songs; first to say hello to Jesus, Mary and Saint Joseph, and then a song for the flag and many others. The songs are really fun and they have also helped me learn Spanish and a little bit of Guarani (currently my vocabulary in Guarani is about 10 words). After the songs, we eat a snack (milk and bread with marmalade) and sometimes I’m amazed at how much milk some of the kids can drink. After snack, we play and work. I’m learning a lot of things from the kids inlcuding how to teach, how to take care of and watch them, and how to make a lot of animals and machines out of clay. Also, I’ve learned to have a lot more patience. 

Some afternoons I’m a teacher in tutoring classes with kids in second and first grade. I was scared at first because I didn’t know how I could teach the kids since I didn’t know Spanish that well. But, God knew what he was doing. There are kids that we are teaching the letters to because they still don’t know them, and others that need help with reading in Spanish and other basic things. I understand their struggle with these things, since I’ve also experienced it. Sometimes the work is very hard because the kids don’t want to learn, but it is also work that is very fulfilling and gratifying because we can help them have a better life.

When I‘m not working as a teacher, I’m a helper in the Health Center with the sisters. First I was more or less a secretary writing down weights, temperatures and blood pressures. I liked it a lot, especially when I couldn’t talk with the people since I didn’t understand Spanish. But now, I’m learning to do everything, how to weight, take temperatures, measure height and write down the data for the doctors and nutritionist. It’s important to take care of the kids that God gave us, and I’m happy to help even if it’s in a small way.

Other days I go with Sister Magdalena to visit the sick and give news to the people that live in the neighborhood underneath the international bridge. The people here live a life very different from my own, and I love to hear their stories. Many of our students from preschool and tutoring classes live her too, so it’s interesting to see them in their homes. A part of our work was to take a census all of the kids in the neighborhood that needed to be baptized—and there were a TON. We celebrated our first baptism in July with 21 kids. It was a beautiful experience and was really special to be able to participate in the sacrament of some of my students.

Being in South America is a wonderful experience for my faith. The devotion of the people is very distinct, especially to Mary. It’s interesting to see how Catholics in other countries worship, and I hope that I can bring some of these traditions back with me when I return to the United States. Although I sometimes feel overwhelmed and that the experience is too much because the sisters (and some other people that I’ve met here) have a level of faith that is a lot higher than mine,  I know that they are here to help me, guide me and to also be my friends. And for this, I’m grateful. I don’t know if my faith is going to inspire anyone, but that’s OK because without a doubt their faith has inspired me. And, maybe that’s God’s plan. We’ll just have to see, and I’ll be open to whatever He asks of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment