Monday, February 6, 2012

Una Semana (One Week!)

With our send-off Mass over, this weekend officially marks the beginning of goodbyes and the week countdown until we depart for Paraguay. 

I was blessed to have my parents here in Albuquerque this weekend. Although it was a short visit, it was an amazing gift to have them with me as I received my missionary cross. 

Mom and Dad arrived in Albuquerque late Friday evening, but still got to meet Sr. Angela, Mary, Caitlin and Juan (a past VOICA volunteer that served in Togo, Africa that also came in for the weekend).  Saturday morning I showed them San Jose, a little bit of Albuquerque, and we explored the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center. The center had several wonderful exhibits about the 19 pueblo tribes that live in New Mexico, and since my Native American history is lacking it was truly interesting. There was even a performance by a Zuni Pueblo dancer. 

One of many long-armed photos!
Dad & I outside the old church at San Jose
Mom & I outside the old church at San Jose
The courtyard at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center
Zuni dancer...it was freezing outside. Pobrecito!
 


Saturday afternoon and evening was filled with our send-off ceremony, Mass and great conversation. Caitlin and I shared our experiences of formation and what we know about our mission in Paraguay. Juan and Mary also shared some of the experiences they had as VOICA volunteers in Togo and Indonesia respectively. It was great to hear about VOICA from a new perspective through Juan’s experiences since his were vastly different from Mary’s. The stories and wisdom they have both shared has been monumental in my preparation. Seeing their dedication and desire to help out other VOICA volunteers also makes me know that I joined the right group, and that VOICA isn’t just an organization, it’s a family. The values I learn and experiences I have during my time with VOICA will stick with me for life.

Caitlin, me, Mary & Juan
Our captivated audience!
The Mass was really special, and not surprisingly, I cried. But, they were definitely happy tears! Hearing the readings and songs, reciting our prayer and receiving our crosses reaffirmed that I’m not in this alone—God is constantly helping me as are the people in my life. The knowledge that I have the support and prayers of everyone in the chapel as well as my friends and family at home came crashing down on me in a good way.
Friends from San Jose and Sr. Marisa! So glad they could make it. Muchas gracias!
Caitlin, Sr. Angela and me.
During Mass, probably singing one of the songs that made me cry.
Receiving my cross.

VOICA America volunteers past and present.


Sunday, me and the rents checked out Old Town, the Albuquerque Museum of Art and History and took a drive through downtown. Then, we met up with Sr. Angela, Mary, Caitlin and Juan for a New Mexican brunch at Abuelitas before Mom and Dad and Juan had to head to the airport. 

Outside the entrance to Old Town
Outside the museum.
Sculpture outside the Art & History museum depicting the Spanish settlers coming to New Mexico.
Mom & Dad outside San Felipe de Neri Church in Old Town.
Group shot!!
Our last photo together til May! Thanks so much for visiting. Love you Mom & Dad!
And, who could forget the Superbowl! I wasn’t sure what to expect at a Superbowl party with nuns, but it was actually one of the best Superbowl parties I’ve ever been to. Despite not really knowing the rules, the sisters were some of the most enthusiastic fans I’ve seen. They didn’t really seem to be that into the commercials though. It was a blast sharing the experience of something that’s truly American with them before I leave. I even had a beer! (Which Sr. Angela actually encouraged me to show in the photo.) Life with nuns, you never know what to expect, and I love it!

After the Giants made a good play.

The delicious spread of food.
Again, the Giants fans cheering!
A wonderful way to kick off my last week in the U.S.! Thank you to everyone that helped make it what it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment