Sunday, February 19, 2012

Adjusting

My new passport stamps!
Entering Paraguay!! Finally after 3 days of traveling!
My room with a spare bed.
The Canossian Sisters' house. Community Magadalena de Canossa.
The heat has definitely shortened my honeymoon phase of life in Paraguay. I’m still very excited about my experience and am so grateful to be doing it, but already I’m missing the familiarities and easiness of life in the U.S. Part of me loves every minute of being here because I’m getting to experience a new culture and meeting new people. The other part of me is frustrated with the heat (going to Mass is probably the most uncomfortable part of my day because it’s so hot and long), the differences in how things are done and mostly not knowing the language. It’s so frustrating to want to speak and say things so badly but knowing there isn’t a quick fix to me learning Spanish. Unfortunately it just takes time. I know that the first few months will be the hardest since we have to make a lot of adjustments, so in the time when I don’t understand things, especially during Mass, I’ve been praying for patience and strength. I don’t think I ever realized how much I was going to need them. This is definitely nothing like studying abroad.

Honestly I was not in the greatest mood after Mass today, but after a fun lunch with the Sisters (Sr. Graciela always makes me answer questions to practice my Spanish and helps me out as I’m spurting out Spanglish) I’m feeling energized and excited to take on the rest of the day. 

Here’s what we’ve been doing for the past few days:

Friday we went into the city for grocery shopping and to change money. The exchange rate is about 4,300 guaranís for one US dollar, but I haven’t quite figured out what that means in terms of how much things cost here. When we got home, we made some welcome signs for the tutoring program and health center. Classes don't resume until the beginning of March, so right now we're just getting things ready. The rest of the day I slept since I wasn’t feeling well—not sure if it was from the water, food or just being plain tired after three days of traveling. Regardless after a 3 or 4 hour nap I was ready to go to a ceremony for adults that completed a literacy course. It was neat to hear the students and teachers talk about how it has changed their lives and also to see some Paraguayan culture. 

The literacy ceremony.
 





Yesterday, we toured the city center of Encarnación and went down to the coast of the River Parana. They built a beach on part of it for people to swim and enjoy. The city and other South American cities definitely have more of a European feel than that of the US. There are tons of little shops crowed together and lots of people walking. Unfortunately my memory card in my camera screwed up, so I lost almost all the photos from the day, but Caitlin was nice enough to share hers. While touring, we also got to try the customary drink of Paraguay, tereré, that’s made of herbs, cold water and a little fruit juice. I actually really liked it! At night, we went to Mass at the chapel in our neighborhood, Barrio Fatima, which turned out to be a wedding. Very cool to see, but very hot! The chapel like most churches here only has fans. 

In the Plaza de Armas
 



On a ride around the Plaza in a horse drawn cart.
 


In front of some bank. They asked us if we wanted to take a picture, so we said yes.



View of Posadas, Argentina from across the River Parana.
 

In the Plaza de Armas
This morning we went to Itacua, right outside Encarnación for Mass and to see the shrine the Virgen de Itacua. The story is that Mary appeared to people crossing and fishing in the river Parana and helped keep them safe from the rocks. Now, there is a small shrine/grotto where there is a statue for people to come and see. The church was really pretty and modeled after a boat, complete with a watchtower. 

The Shrine for the Virgen de Itacua.

The church at Itacua.

Making our way up the "watchtower"

At the top!
Outside the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment