Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Quinceañera

Last week Gladys (my head teacher) invited me to her niece’s Quinceañera or 15th birthday party. She said there were more than 200 people invited to the event, so I was excited to experience it. When I asked what I should wear, Gladys first said, “Oh a little dress to about here,” and pointed slightly below her butt. I thought she was kidding (she later said pants were fine), but when I got to the party, which was basically the equivalency of a wedding reception (think Super Sweet 16), I realized she was completely serious. The hall was decorated from floor to ceiling including a huge table filled with candy, and everyone was decked out in their best as I was rocking my olive pants, long sleeved fitted-T and Sperry Topsiders.

The party started an hour and a half late due to problems with lights (they shut off for a good hour), but there was plenty for me to see and plenty of people watching. Gladys told everyone that I could understand some things really well, just not everything , but that pretty much stopped people from asking me questions, which was actually perfectly fine. I’m more of a listener anyway, so not having the pressure to speak was quite nice.

When the birthday girl finally entered, she greeted her friends waiting for her at the door and began to dance first with her dad, and then all the other boys and men that came up. Next we ate—two plates (one with meat and veggies the other with chicken and potatoes), rolls and little desserts with dulce de leche (which happens to be in just about every sweet that exists here). After playing a video/slideshow of pictures of the birthday girl the dancing began. We left a little after 2:45 a.m. and much to my disappointment they still hadn’t cut the cake. Regardless, it was a great experience even if I just sat and watched. It was great to go out and interesting to see this different, more luxurious side of Paraguay even if I do prefer the more laid back, casual side.

The hall.
 
 
Getting ready to blow out the candles.
Alejandra with her parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment