Monday, May 21, 2012

Sorpresas!

When I finally checked my e-mail Friday afternoon, I had a wonderful welcome home message from Caitlin wishing me luck and telling me a little about her last few days here while I was gone. Like usual she told me it was full of surprise activities. At lunch on Friday Madre Maria Jose told me that I would be traveling once again—to the other Canossian community in Encarnación. Either she forgot to tell me or I didn’t completely understand, but what I thought was an afternoon visit was actually a weekend trip that was supposed to last until Monday morning. When I went downstairs Saturday afternoon ready to go and she asked, “Where are your clothes?” Oops!

One of the ministries of the other community in Encarnación is a home for young girls that are working and studying in Encarnación. Before coming to Paraguay I had read about this mission on the sisters’ website and was excited to see if I could help. 


After Mass


My first day didn’t exactly go how I thought since many of the girls had work and/or school on Saturday. It was pretty boring—I literally spent more than an hour ironing Madre Susana’s clothes (for the record I do like to iron and she didn’t force me to do it but still! Not exactly how I imaged my Saturday with the girls.) It did get better that night when we watched Mr. Popper’s Penguins though (It was in Spanish, and I asked about subtitles, but the girls must have thought I was joking. Regardless it was good and even though I didn’t understand all of the words I got the main idea and that’s good enough for me).  

On Sunday, we went to Mass in the morning at a nearby chapel of a group of Carmelite nuns. It was my first Spanish Mass since I’ve been back, and even though I forgot my bilingual missalette in my packing frenzy, it was good. After Mass, we decorated the dining room to celebrate the Quinceañera (15th birthday) of one of the girls, Clarita, later that night. Clarita is adorable—quiet but inviting and caring. She was so cute, especially when she practiced English with me since she’s been studying it for the past year.

After decorating, Hna. Magdalena, some of the older girls, and I cleaned the house while the younger girls had a catechism session. Later, the Madre Susana prepared a PowerPoint on the importance of taking care in our lives and the lives of others as well as vocations. Afterwards, Hna. Magdalena and I shared our stories about being called to our vocations. I love hearing how and why sisters decided to become sisters so it was interesting to get to know Magdalena on this level, too. Sharing my story, although I didn’t prepare (another surprise), was really fun as well. The girls were great listeners and even helped me with my Spanish when I stumbled. I hope that hearing about how I struggled with my faith in the past but am working to strengthen it now, why I decided to leave my country and come here and to know that I actually love being here despite missing my family inspired them at least a little bit to be open to whatever they’re called to do. And, after our hard day’s work, we celebrated!

Me with the birthday girl--Clarita
Clarita and her family
 



No comments:

Post a Comment